Sunday, August 21, 2011

Are cities the future?

Recently, Alex Steffen talked about the shareable future of cities in a Ted Talk (video at the bottom).
His talk was about how that cities dwellers ended up consuming less resources.
This spits the face of many whom believe the only way to go green is by living in the countryside. But as someone who has experienced both I can claim that I find things far more convenient in the city. And this has probably decreased my consumption as a whole.

Business run similarly.
Some business operate out of the back room/home office. While others operate in massive multistory buildings. With cubicles piled on top of cubicles. While there has a been a marketing push to say that we are moving away from the sweat factories of the past - is this actually true.
Not only that but is this a move to become more efficient or move effective.
I know I operate in a more spacious environment, and I love having a office that I can close the door to the world. But some people operate better with someone looking over the shoulder (I am not one of those people).

Are business run out of city offices the future? Do we need to consume less and sacrifice our own personal space at work?

Watch the video below and let me know what your thoughts are.
-Stew

No comments:

Post a Comment